Season’s Greetings and Year-End Wrap Up
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year!
It’s getting close to the end of 2019 and we thought it was a good time to look back over our year and think about our achievements. We are really proud of our team, their hard work and accomplishments throughout the year. Some of the more notable highlights including:
- Supporting a number of charity events and associations during the year including Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, Footy Colours Day, Pink Ribbon Awareness Day, Burra Districts Open Gardens, City to Bay, RSPCA Cup Cake Day, Port Augusta Police Charity Golf Day, Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal and the Australian Arid Lands Association!
- The Personal Injury Team moved from the South Terrace office in Adelaide to head office at 17 Sturt Street.
- The Conveyancing Team continued to lead the way with electronic conveyancing – proudly being the first law firm in SA to hit 500 PEXA settlements!
- Throughout the year we have continued to act for many injured people. This has included advocating and running trials for workers in the SA employment tribunal and representing those injured in accidents or suffering illness due to exposure to asbestos. We have had a number of notable successes which have really helped to improve our clients lives and we look forward to continuing our hard work in 2020.
- We have continued to act for mortgage lenders including private lenders who have lent to property owners throughout South Australia on many different projects.
- We represented a person accused of abuse of public office which were the first charges laid by the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption (ICAC). The jury unanimously returned a verdict of not guilty.
- The Firm supported the students and others striking or otherwise participating in demonstrations on the climate crisis. The firm encouraged people to make their voice heard on this issue.
- Ongoing partnership with ACH Group, educating residents on estate planning.
- Managing Director, Andrew Mitchard and Head of Conveyancing, Gemma Wallace represented Johnston Withers Lawyers at the MSI Asia Pacific meeting in Shanghai, China and the MSI regional meeting in Fiji providing us the opportunity to exchange knowledge not just in relation to the application of the law but of practice management, marketing, business and operation methods.
- Two of the football clubs we sponsor won their local football Grand Finals, South Augusta in the A Grade and West Augusta in the B Grade. Quorn Cricket Club u/17’s won their Grand Final also.
- The Firm delivered random acts of kindness around our regional communities with examples including donating magazines to the Clare hospital, contributing bottles of water to the Sevenhill SACWA Mother’s Day Fun Run, donating to the Clare Christmas pageant gifts from Father Christmas and once again donating bubble blowers to the Burra Christmas party!
- Johnston Withers Lawyers was recognised as a Leading South Australian Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation and Dust Diseases Compensation Law Firm. The Firm was also recognised as a Recommended South Australian Work Injury Compensation, Medical Negligence Compensation and Public Liability Compensation Law Firm.
- Matthew Windsor was recommended as a Leading Dust Diseases Compensation Lawyer and Tim Downie has been recognised as a Leading Public Liability Compensation, Medical Negligence Compensation and Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Lawyer.
- Graham Harbord was recognised as a Leading Employment Lawyer and Richard Bradshaw was recognised as a Recommended Native Title Lawyer (Traditional Owner Representation).
- Senior Lawyer, Holly Gardner was appointed to Propel SA’s board (formerly branded Eastside Business Enterprise Centre Inc.) which is established as a not-for-profit organisation assisting small business in Adelaide.
- Managing Director, Andrew Mitchard and Paralegal Kate Eckert hit their 10 year work anniversary. Andrew and Kate joined the Johnston Withers team at the same time, and have made a huge contribution to the growth and strength of the commercial practice of the firm.
- Law Clerks Anthony Mauriello and Jasmin Boyce were both admitted to practice in early 2019. We welcomed them as lawyers in the Adelaide Team in February and April respectively.
- Registered Conveyancer, Angela Zhao joined the Adelaide Team in July and Registered Conveyancer, Victoria Hughes joined our Clare Conveyancing Team in August.
Please be advised that our Clare office will close on Friday 20 December and our Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Port Augusta, Whyalla and Roxby Downs offices will close on Tuesday 24 December at 12 noon.
Our Adelaide office will re-open on Thursday 2 January 2020 and our offices in Murray Bridge, Clare, Whyalla, Port Augusta and Roxby Downs will re-open on Monday 6 January 2020.