Johnston Withers

Farm Debt Mediation.

Published on Wednesday 20 February, 2019 by Andrew Mitchard

Agricultural law
Farm Debt
Laws & Acts

The Farm Debt Mediation Act 2018 (SA)

The South Australian Parliament passed the Farm Debt Mediation Act (‘the Act’) in late 2018 in order to provide a mechanism for ‘the efficient and equitable resolution of farm debt disputes’.

In effect, the Act requires lenders to go through mediation with farmers before they are able to take any enforcement action (such as taking possession of property) under their mortgage agreements. Lenders must go through the process prescribed by the Act to enforce mortgages and any attempt to enforce a mortgage inconsistently with the Act will be void.

Does the Act apply to my debt?

The Act defines farm debt broadly, being any debt incurred by a farmer and secured by a mortgage for the purpose of conducting a farming operation. However, it does not include:

  • Mortgages over stock
  • Liens over crops or wool
  • Interests in farm machinery under a lease
  • Security interests in stock, crops or wool
Farm debt mediation johnston withers lawyers

What is the process?

1. Notice

A lender who wants to take an enforcement action to recover a farmer’s debt must give notice to the farmer, informing the farmer of its intention to take enforcement action, that mediation is available, and that the farmer has 21 days to request mediation.

2. Requesting mediation

If the farmer does not request mediation within 21 days of receiving a notice, the lender may take enforcement action to recover the farmer’s debt.

Farmers may also request mediation with the lender even where they have not received a notice from the lender. However, in such cases, lenders may refuse to participate in the mediation.

3. Refusal to participate in mediation

If a lender refuses to participate (or to continue to participate) in a mediation requested by a farmer who has defaulted on their loan, the farmer may apply for a ‘prohibition certificate’. A prohibition certificate stays in force for 6 months (or until mediation commences) and prevents the lender from taking any enforcement action against the farmer. It is up to the Small Business Commissioner to decide whether to grant a prohibition certificate.

If a farmer refuses to participate in mediation (or if the Small Business Commissioner determines that satisfactory mediation has already occurred), the lender may apply for an ‘exemption certificate’. An ‘exemption certificate’ means that the Act does not apply to the lender in respect of the particular debt, and therefore the lender is not required to participate in mediation with the farmer before taking enforcement action. Exemption certificates generally stay in place for three years. It is up to the Small Business Commissioner to decide whether to grant an exemption certificate.

Note that lenders are not obliged to reduce or forgive debts during mediation, and their failure to do so will not prevent the Small Business Commissioner from determining that satisfactory mediation has occurred.

4. Mediation

Both parties must pay a fee to participate in mediation, though this fee may be reduced or waived by the Small Business Commissioner.

Mediation will be informal and as quick as practical, and may take place using electronic methods of communication (such as via telephone or video link) where convenient. Everything said during mediation is confidential and must not be disclosed without consent.

We’re here to help!

Lenders and farmers can be represented by a lawyer at mediation, and we recommend that you seek legal advice if you or a farmer you’ve lent to is at risk of defaulting or has defaulted on a farm debt, if you have sent or received a notice, or if you are attending mediation.

Johnston Withers Lawyers have been representing rural clients for over 30 years and with many of our lawyers hailing from the country, we have a unique expertise in the law as it relates to life on the land.

We have offices in Adelaide, Port Augusta, Whyalla, Murray Bridge, Clare and Roxby Downs and we offer a free initial consultation.

If you would like to discuss a farm debt dispute call Andrew Mitchard on (08) 8231 1110 or get in touch online.

Johnston Withers Lawyers Andrew Mitchard


Andrew Mitchard

Managing director

Related posts...

Your guide to workers’ compensation claims

If you or a loved one has been injured at work, it can be challenging to navigate a workers’ compensation claim – especially during recovery. Keep reading to learn about your legal rights and entitlements.

Who can contest a will in South Australia (and how to do it)

Thinking about contesting a will in Australia? South Australian legislation known as the Inheritance (Family Provision) Act 1972 enables someone who’s been either left out of a will or hasn’t received adequate maintenance to make a claim against the deceased’s estate.

Your guide to car accident injury claims

Been involved in a car accident? This guide will teach you everything you need to know about car accident injury claims.